Skip to main content

Druid Hills Garden Club records

 Collection
Collection number: ahc.MSS1021

Scope and Content

This collection consists of histories, minutes and yearbooks that document the club's civic and social activities. The collection also includes scrapbooks which further document the club's interests and special projects, as well as activities of members such as Marie S. Nicholson and Francis King.

Dates

  • 1929-2011, undated

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.

Administrative/Biographical History

The Druid Hills Garden Club of Atlanta, Georgia, was formed in 1928 at the home of Mrs. Harold Cooledge with an initial group of ten women for the purpose of, "the study and culture of flowers, the study of landscape gardening and participation in citywide projects which the club deems worthy and appropriate." The club is governed by elected members such as president, vice-presidents, and treasurer. In 1928 the club became a charter member of The Garden Club of Georgia, Inc. and held their first Rose Show the same year. The club's first civic project was the creation of a municipal Rose Garden in Oak Grove Park (a section of the now known as Olmsted Linear Park) on Ponce de Leon Avenue and Lullwater Road which the club continues to maintain. Atlanta landscape architect, William C. Pauley was commissioned by the club to design the new garden and later a fountain was added in 1935 to serve as a focal point, surrounded by a formal garden designed by landscape architect William L. Monroe. In 1976, the garden was renamed the Memory Garden in honor of deceased members.

Administrative/Biographical History

The club has supported many organizations in Atlanta such as the Fernbank Forest, the Cator Woolford Memorial Garden, the Atlanta Botanical Garden, the Egleston Hospital gardens, the Georgia Conservancy, the gardens of the Atlanta History Center, and also the Founders Memorial Garden in Athens, Georgia. The club continues to support the beautification of a section of Olmsted Linear Park and the Park Alliance in their restoration efforts. The club has hosted numerous flower shows, such as the Rose Show, and is involved in regional flower shows including the Southeastern Flower Show, winning awards in many categories.

Extent

25.41 linear ft. (five document cases and 17 oversize boxes)

Language

English

System of Arrangement

The collection is arranged alphabetically by titles supplied by staff.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift, 1972 with subsequent additions

Description Control

This collection was reprocessed in 2014.
Title
Druid Hills Garden Club records
Author
Jennie Oldfield
Date
2014
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040