Skip to main content

James E. Williams collection

 Collection
Collection number: ahc.MSS329

Scope and Content

This collection is comprised of Williams family members letters, bills, and receipts beinginning in the 1820s to the turn of the century. There are three bound books: checkbook 1854, Williams company account book 1859, and scrapbook 1904-1905. There are also several Confederate bond receipts and checks, letters from the field, a parole, a bill of sale for a slave, and monthly subsistence papers. Other items include a fire insurance policy dated October 16, 1865; an invitation to Fanny Gordon's wedding - daughter of John B. Gordon; and graduation programs from Boys' High and Girls' High.

Dates

  • 1820-1905, undated

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.

Administrative/Biographical History

James Etheldred Williams (1826-1900), born in Granger County, Tennessee, in 1826, came to Atlanta, Georgia in 1851. He established a business as a commission merchant of produce and established a theatre on the second floor of the building he constructed at Pryor and Hunter Streets in 1854. Before the Civil War, he was one of the founding members of the Georgia and Western Railroad, and a vestryman of St. Phillip's church. In 1862, he represented the 2nd ward on the City Council. He served as Mayor of Atlant afor two terms, beginning in 1866. Additional biographical information about James E. Williams has not been determined.

Extent

2.09 linear ft. (1 document case, 1 oversize box, and FF folder)