Showing Collections: 1 - 11 of 11
Scope and Content This collection contains two diaries of Abigail M. Brooks, which date from 1865 and 1870 along with typed transcriptions of both. In addition, there is an invitation to attend church which dates from 1858. In the 1865 diary, Brooks describes life in rural Tennessee, near Nashville, where she teaches in a one room school house. Later in the year, Abigail moves to Edgefield, Tennessee, also near Nashville, and starts her own school. She describes life in Edgefield, trials with her students, the...
Scope and Content The collection includes letters addressed to Anna Jordan from family and friends, along with personal items of her family. Included are letters to Anna R. Jordan from Inez James, a teenaged girl in Varnell’s Station, Georgia. Two letters from Ms. James describe how she and her neighbors were under siege from Union soldiers who confiscated food and personal items from their farms. Her letters after the war briefly tell of Union occupation, weddings, and her school work. Correspondence from...
Dates: 1844-1921, undated
Scope and Content This collection consists of correspondence, financial papers, ledgers, receipts, legal papers, advertisements, insurance papers, newspaper clippings, patent documents, and other papers pertaining to Augustus Robert Jones and the Jones family. The bulk of the collection is comprised of Jones's personal correspondence and financial records about the family cotton business. Also included are pocket diaries containing records of business and household purchases, printed papers such as price lists...
Dates: 1855-1908, undated
Scope and Content This collection contains a scrapbook and scrapbook fragments. Materials collected in the scrapbook include poetry, newspaper clippings, speeches, DeGive's Opera House programs, an 1885 edition of the Sunny South, and documentation about the life of Powell's father, Fielding Travis Powell. Of particular note are documents on Powell's advocacy of Confederate Monuments and the suffragist movement, two medicine recipes, and an image of the Georgia College of...
Dates: 1847-1962, undated
Scope and Content This collection contains Emily Jane Winkler Bealer's diary in which she reflects on domestic life as an impoverished widow during Reconstruction in Atlanta. Topics include raising and educating her children, financial and business affairs, and social and church life. The collection also includes a typed transcript and biographical notes written by Bealer's great-granddaughter, Emily Bealer Calhoun II. These notes contain research on people and businesses referenced in the diary.
Dates: 1876-1886, approximately 1975
Scope and Content This collection contains a farewell letter written by the members of the 150th regiment of Illinois Infantry to John D. Stevenson in appreciation for his leadership during Reconstruction. Also included are photocopies of obituaries for John D. Stevenson and his wife, Hannah Stevenson.
Dates: 1866, undated
Scope and Content This collection contains one letter from General John Milton Brannan to Charles J. Jenkins, governor of Georgia and refers to the legal process of trying criminals and others in the state courts.
Dates: 1866 April 11
Scope and Content This collection contains photocopies and transcriptions of letters written by Pennie Wilson of Mississippi, to her cousin Maggie Wilson in Georgia on conditions in Mississippi and Georgia after the American Civil War.
Scope and Content This collection consists of a marriage record for Peter Kimbrough and Mariah Little. The document includes the license authorizing the marriage between the "freedman" and "freedwoman" and the certificate of marriage.
Dates: 22 February 1867
Scope and Content This collection consists of one scrapbook containing newspaper clippings regarding Atlanta, Georgia's social growth, and the South's transformation after the Civil War.
Scope and Content This collection contains a pardon issued to Thomas W. Connally by President Andrew Johnson and certificates signed by Secretary of State William Seward in response to Mr. Connally's service in the Confederacy during the Civil War.
- Subject: Reconstruction (U.S. history, 1865-1877) -- Georgia X
- Reconstruction (U.S. history, 1865-1877) -- Georgia 10
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Women 2
- African Americans -- Georgia -- Talbot County 1
- Atlanta (Ga.) -- Social life and customs 1
- Atlanta Campaign, 1864 1
- Business records -- Georgia 1
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.) 1
- Cotton trade -- Georgia 1
- Diaries 1
- Education -- Georgia 1
- Education -- Tennessee -- Edgefield 1
- Farms -- Georgia 1
- Georgia -- History -- 19th century -- Social conditions 1
- Georgia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives 1
- Georgia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Social aspects 1
- Georgia -- Newspapers 1
- Georgia -- Race relations 1
- Habeas corpus -- Georgia 1
- Marriage records -- Georgia -- Talbot County 1
- Plantation life -- Georgia. 1
- Presbyterians -- Georgia 1
- Presbyterians -- Tennessee 1
- Reconstruction (U.S. history, 1865-1877) -- Georgia -- Talbot County 1
- Reconstruction (U.S. history, 1865-1877) -- Mississippi 1
- Scrapbooks -- Georgia 1
- Scrapbooks -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Monuments 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives 1
- War memorials -- Southern States 1
- Women -- Confederate States of America -- Social conditions 1
- Women -- History -- 19th century 1
- Women -- Suffrage -- Georgia 1
- Women authors 1 ∧ less
- Bealer, Emily Jane Winkler, 1833-1908 1
- Berry's and Company (Rome, Ga.) 1
- Brannan, John Milton, 1819-1892 1
- Brooks, Abbie M. 1
- Burbank and Jones 1
- Calhoun, Emily Bealer 1
- Connally, Thomas Whipple, 1809-1884 1
- Georgia State College of Agriculture 1
- Jenkins, Charles Jones 1
- Jones family 1
- Jones, Augustus Robert, 1819-1887 1
- Jones, John 1
- Jones, Melissa Gordon Otterson 1
- Jones, Samuel Otterson 1
- Jordan family 1
- Jordan, Anna R. (Anna Rauschenberg) 1
- Jordan, Charles 1
- Kimbrough, Peter 1
- Little, Mariah 1
- Mims, Sue Harper 1
- Powell family 1
- Powell, Ella M. (Ella May), 1863- 1
- Powell, Fielding Travis 1
- Rauschenberg family 1
- Rauschenberg, Christian 1
- Stevenson, Hannah Letcher 1
- Stevenson, John D. 1
- Wilson, Maggie 1
- Wilson, Pennie 1 ∧ less