Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 485
Collection number: ahc.MSS406
Scope and Content This collection is comprised of materials created by and about the 1900 Study Club. The bulk of the collection is club minutes and scrapbooks. Also included in the collections are yearbooks, correspondence, and programs.
Collection number: ahc.MSS2f
Scope and Content This collection consists of deeds and title abstracts for a portion of block 16, lot 77 of the 14th district of Fulton County; a deed to a cemetery plot, and a letter to Mrs. George W. Adair from Octavia S. Hammond discussing living conditions in Atlanta in 1865. In the letter, Ms. Hammond encourages Mrs. Adair to return to Atlanta and she lists the names of individuals who have done so after the end of the Civil War. She lists the cost of food items and offers anecdotes about businesses...
Dates: 1847-1906, undated
Collection number: ahc.VIS144
Scope and Contents of the Records This collection contains aerial photographs produced to assist Adams-Cates Company in the development of commercial real estate in the metropolitan Atlanta area. Aerial views of the cities of Atlanta, College Park, Decatur, East Point, Forest Park, Gainesville, Hapeville, Lithonia, Marietta, Panthersville, Sandy Springs, Smyrna, Stone Mountain, as well as dozens of images of unidentified areas in the metropolitan Atlanta region are contained in the collection. The photographs document the...
Collection number: ahc.MSS931f
Scope and Content This collection contains a family scrapbook with photocopies of a diary kept by Nancy Ann Holt Adams from 1895-1898 documenting family life, the weather, and the death of her first child. It also includes newspaper articles about the family, certificates, photographs, and genealogical information about the Adams family.
Dates: 1895-1996, undated
Collection number: ahc.MSS3f
Scope and Content This collection consists of correspondence, an invitation to the Capital City Club, a program for a St. Patrick's Day event, a comedy bill, and a poem disparaging of equal rights for women.
Collection number: ahc.MSS465
Scope and Content This collection contains a scrapbook compiled by Addie Steinheimer. Included in the scrapbook are newspaper clippings regarding David Mayer, David Steinheimer, and the Atlanta Jewish Community. It also contains newspaper articles on the history of Atlanta. There is also a 1939 Commercial High School yearbook and an obituary for Addie.
Collection number: ahc.VIS125
Scope and Contents of the Records This collection is comprised of images of the early development of Ansley Park in Atlanta, Georgia. The photographs were taken by an unidentified photographer. Mr. Solon Zachery Ruff, who was the development’s civil engineer, can be seen, along with images of the home of Amos Rhodes (now Rhodes Hall). Mr Ruff is identified as “papa” on some of the images. One of the images is of an auction of lots in Ansley Park.
Collection number: ahc.VIS124
Scope and Contents of the Records A varied collection, these photographs are a mixture of images of rural areas in Fulton County, images relating to Atlanta’s Jewish community, military photographs, and photographs of an elementary class. Most of the images in the collection were taken by Rosenberg, but several were not. The photographs of Fulton County include images of buildings, stores, and farms in Buckhead, Roswell, and Lebanon, Georgia, and several in Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta. Images of Atlanta’s Jewish community...
Dates: 1945-1955, undated
Collection number: ahc.MSS262
Scope and Content This collection is a scrapbook that contains newspaper clippings pertaining to local and national events.
Collection number: ahc.MSS285f
Scope and Content This collection contains a bound volume of anecdotes made by Albert Rhyne of Atlanta about his maternal grandmother, Amelia Hutchins Alexander (Mrs. Hooper Alexander) of Decatur, and about various personalities and homes in Druid Hills. Mentioned extensively are the Heinz family, the family of Asa Candler, Dr. H.V.M. Miller, H. G. Hastings, and Mrs. Julius Y. Talmadge. Also included is an obituary of Dr. M. B. Hutchins, brother of Mrs. Hooper Alexander.
Collection number: ahc.MSS311
Scope and Content This collection is comprised of a guest book used in the King family's home for parties, correspondence, and a speech.
Dates: 1937-1977, undated
Collection number: ahc.MSS580f
Scope and Content This collection contains a letter written by Confederate Vice President Alexander Stephens to James M. Calhoun, mayor of Atlanta, Georgia. The letter discusses Calhoun's recent appointment to civil governor of Atlanta by General Braxton Bragg. Stephens writes that the prohibition of the sale of alcohol to soldiers is unconstitutional according to the Confederate Constitution and the Rules and Articles of the Confederacy. He also states that Calhoun’s new position as civil governor of Atlanta is...
Dates: 1862 September 8
Collection number: ahc.MSS29
Scope and Content These papers consist of various business and legal documents related to Alfred Austell's numerous business ventures. Included are land deeds, bookkeeping notes, checks, property insurance policies, bills, receipts, and photocopies of pages from Austell's letter book dealing with banking business, sale of cotton, and property acquisition and payment of personal notes. This collection also contains two pocket files, which are listed by month. The contents of these files have been left in the...
Dates: 1833-1962; Majority of material found within 1833 - 1889
Collection number: ahc.MSS831
Scope and Content These files contain many of the letters E.W.S. Neff wrote his son, Alfred. These letters provide insight into life in the 1800's as well as amusing stories about Mr. Neff's adventures "on the job."
Dates: 1878-1880, undated
Collection number: ahc.MSS1014
Scope and Content This collection contains newspaper clippings, correspondence, awards and ceremony programs, and scrapbooks collected by the Allen family. The bulk of the collection pertains to Ivan Allen, Sr. and Ivan Allen, Jr.'s business, civic, and political affairs. Ivan Allen, Sr.'s state senate campaign and election, and Ivan Allen, Jr.'s mayoral campaign and election, and both father and son's work with various charities and civic minded associations are included. Of note are the numerous scrapbooks...
Dates: 1899-2004, undated
Collection number: ahc.VIS104
Scope and Contents of the Records The collection consists of images of family members and friends of the Allen, Inman, Richardson, and Grant families of Atlanta, Georgia. Most of the photographs of family members consist of images of Ivan Allen, Sr. and Ivan Allen, Jr. Included are photographs of Ivan Allen, Sr. at business meetings, civic and social events, and with friends and family. Photographs of Ivan Allen, Jr. include those from his childhood throughout his career as a businessman and mayor of Atlanta. Also included are...
Dates: 1840-1990, undated
Collection number: ahc.VIS315
Scope and Content This collection contains photographs taken on the property of the Hoshall and McCabe residences at 1314 and 1328 Council Bluff Drive, near the intersection with Pine Forest Drive, in the Sagamore Hills neighborhood. The images show a wooded area, a creek, trees, and tree bark.
Dates: approximately 1960-1970
Collection number: ahc.MSS541f
Scope and Content This collection contains a scrapbook of Almeda Askerooth who graduated from Commercial High School in Atlanta, Georgia. There are images of her as well as her teachers and friends. Also included are a few items pertaining to World War I.
Collection number: ahc.MSS1068
Scope and Content This collection includes legal documents, genealogical materials, and personal and legal correspondence pertaining to the wills and trusts of members of the Alston family and the family's "home place" in Barbour County, Alabama. Also of interest are materials relating to a visit to Atlanta in 1941 by Edward Frederick Lindley Wood, 1st Earl Halifax, the British ambassador to the United States, as well as the Alston family genealogy, which includes two large parchment indentures made out to...
Dates: 1612-1973, undated; Majority of material found within 1917 - 1968
Collection number: ahc.MSS259
Scope and Content Newspaper clippings of Belle Isle family in the news.
- Subject: Atlanta (Ga.) X
- Atlanta Historical Society 17
- Hartsfield, William Berry 17
- Atlanta Chamber of Commerce 11
- Georgia Institute of Technology 10
- Jackson, Maynard, 1938-2003 10
- Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority 10
- Rich's (Retail store) 10
- Atlanta Cyclorama (Atlanta, Ga.) 9
- Carter, Jimmy, 1924- 9
- Cotton States Exposition (1895 : Atlanta, Ga.) 9
- Grady Memorial Hospital (Atlanta, Ga.) 9
- Allen, Ivan, 1877-1968 8
- Allen, Ivan, 1911-2003 8
- Atlanta Municipal Airport (Atlanta, Ga.) 8
- Fowler, Wyche, 1940- 8
- Georgia State Capitol (Atlanta, Ga.) 8
- Girls High School (Atlanta, Ga.) 8
- Young, Andrew, 1932- 8
- Atlanta (Ga.). Police Department 7
- Atlanta Braves (Baseball team) 7
- Coca-Cola Company 7
- Maddox, Lester, 1915-2003 7
- Massell, Sam 7
- Swan House (Atlanta, Ga.) 7
- Atlanta Civic Center (Atlanta, Ga.) 6
- Atlanta Municipal Auditorium (Atlanta, Ga.) 6
- Emory University 6
- English-American Building (Atlanta, Ga.) 6
- Fox Theatre (Atlanta, Ga.) 6
- Georgia Power Company 6
- Henry Grady Hotel (Atlanta, Ga.) 6
- Hurt Building (Atlanta, Ga.) 6
- Mitchell, Margaret, 1900-1949 6
- Southeastern Fair (Atlanta, Ga.) 6
- Underground Atlanta, Inc. 6
- Atlanta (Ga.). City Council 5
- Atlanta (Ga.). Fire Department 5
- Atlanta City Hall (Atlanta, Ga.) 5
- Atlanta History Center 5
- Atlanta Water Works (Atlanta, Ga.) 5
- Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium (Atlanta, Ga.) 5
- C. W. Motes (Atlanta, Ga.) 5
- Forward Atlanta Commission 5
- Georgia. General Assembly 5
- Inman, Emily Caroline MacDougald 5
- King, Coretta Scott, 1927-2006 5
- Ku Klux Klan, 1915- 5
- Kurtz, Wilbur G. (Wilbur George), 1882-1967 5
- Oakland Cemetery (Atlanta, Ga.) 5
- Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano), 1882-1945 5
- Slaton, John M. 5
- Talmadge, Herman E. (Herman Eugene), 1913-2002 5
- University of Georgia 5
- Agnes Scott College 4
- American Red Cross 4
- Atlanta (Ga.) 4
- Atlanta Art Association 4
- Atlanta Housing Authority 4
- Atlanta Urban League 4
- Biltmore Hotel (Atlanta, Ga.) 4
- Boy Scouts of America . National Council 4
- Busbee, George, 1927-2004 4
- Capital City Club (Atlanta, Ga.) 4
- Democratic Party (Ga.) 4
- DuBose, Beverly M., 1918-1986 4
- Flatiron Building (Atlanta, Ga.) 4
- Frank, Leo, 1884-1915 4
- Georgia Federation of Women's Clubs 4
- Inman, Edward H., 1881-1931 4
- Junior League of Atlanta 4
- Kuhns Photographic Studio (Atlanta, Ga.) 4
- Lakewood Fairgrounds (Atlanta, Ga.) 4
- League of Women Voters of Atlanta/Fulton County 4
- Loew's Grand Theatre (Atlanta, Ga.) 4
- Peters family 4
- Peters, Edward C. 4
- Peters, Richard 4
- Reeves Studios (Atlanta, Ga.) 4
- Reid, J. Neel (Joseph Neel), 1885-1926 4
- Southern Christian Leadership Conference 4
- Tallulah Falls School (Tallulah Falls, Ga.) 4
- Technological High School (Atlanta, Ga.) 4
- Terminal Station (Atlanta, Ga.) 4
- Thornton House (Atlanta, Ga.) 4
- Union Station (Atlanta, Ga.) 4
- Western and Atlantic Railroad Company 4
- Zoo Atlanta 4
- Allen family 3
- Allen, Ivan, III, 1938-1992 3
- Allen, Louise Richardson, 1917-2008 3
- Arnall, Ellis Gibbs, 1907-1992 3
- Arrington, Marvin S. 3
- Atlanta (Ga.). Board of Aldermen 3
- Atlanta (Ga.). Bureau of Planning 3
- Atlanta (Ga.). City Executive Committee 3
- Atlanta Economic Development Corporation 3
- Atlanta Falcons (Football team) 3
- Atlanta Memorial Arts Center 3
- Atlanta Music Club (Atlanta, Ga.) 3
- Atlanta Urban Design Commission (Ga.) 3 ∧ less