Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 62
Collection number: ahc.MSS333
Scope and Content This collection contains the manuscript and research for Allen C. Smith's thesis, The Republican Party in Georgia, 1867-1871. It was completed as part of his master's degree from Duke University in 1936. Also included are essays by Smith entitled The Union League in Georgia, The Secession Fight in Georgia, and Aggressive Slavocracy in Georgia, as well as...
Collection number: ahc.MSS128
Scope and Content The collection includes letters addressed to Anna Jordan from family and friends, along with personal items of her family. Included are letters to Anna R. Jordan from Inez James, a teenaged girl in Varnell’s Station, Georgia. Two letters from Ms. James describe how she and her neighbors were under siege from Union soldiers who confiscated food and personal items from their farms. Her letters after the war briefly tell of Union occupation, weddings, and her school work. Correspondence from...
Collection number: ahc.MSS1182
Scope and Content This collection contains reports created by the Atlanta Assessment Project about the Atlanta Public School System. These reports outline the goals for the Atlanta Public School System, as well as how to reach these goals. The collection also contains reports on the school system for years prior to the project, as well as papers on the history of the city. Of particular note are critiques written by Atlanta residents on one of the reports that concern the economy, demographics, employment, civil...
Collection number: ahc.MSS787f
Scope and Content This collection contains the composition books and loose papers documenting the meetings of the Atlanta Astronomical Society. The entirety of the collection documents the topic of discussions and the date of each meeting, and some entries include the attendees and time of each meeting. The location of each meeting, which changed often, is articulated in most of the entries. The composition books contain entries written by secretary Truitt Harper, dated up to January 7, 1928. The loose papers...
Collection number: ahc.MSS372
Scope and Content The bulk of this collection is the records generated by the Atlanta Committee for International Visitors. Also included in the collection are newspaper clippings about the organization and biographical data on visitors.
Collection number: ahc.VIS241
Scope and Content The collection contains photographs of the Atlanta Council of International Visitors (ACIV) from 1969-1979. The photographs consist of black and white and color images of global leaders, students, and professionals who represented countries worldwide. Of special interest are photographs of students visiting Atlanta as a part of the 1975 ACIV Homestay program. Also of note are photographs of Latin American journalists visiting with Governor Jimmy Carter in 1972.
Collection number: ahc.MSS389
Scope and Content This collection is comprised of materials pertaining to the evolution and expansion of the public kindergarten system in Georgia. Included in the collection are materials pertaining to the efforts put forth by the organization to expand the program and the work done by similar organizations.
Collection number: ahc.MSS827
Scope and Content This collection consists of two scrapbooks, volumes 2 and 5, of an unknown number produced as part of the Atlanta Public Forum project. The scrapbooks contain newspaper clippings on public events related to education and the forum in 1937. Each volume has an index attached.
Collection number: ahc.MSS614
Scope and Content This collection consists of personal and professional papers of Austin T. Walden. The papers are primarily office files and case briefs from his law career. Additional material includes correspondence, financial papers, membership information, political campaign documents, speeches, and marketing and outreach material from various organizations. The collection contains materials from the many organizations to which Walden belonged or defended in court, such as the NAACP, the Atlanta Negro...
Collection number: ahc.VIS40
Scope and Content The images consist of portraits of Dr. Benjamin E. Mays, primarily at public events such as graduation ceremonies or committee meetings during his tenure as the president of Morehouse College. Other photographs consist of Mays with other individuals or groups, including faculty members. Most of the group photographs are identified by event only and include general faculty or administrators posed in cap and gown, consisting of Benjamin E. Mays; Charles E. Merrill, Chairman, Board of Trustees,...
Collection number: ahc.MSS364
Scope and Content This collection is comprised of materials pertaining to the Boys High School. The bulk of the collection is newspaper clippings and class reunion documents such as programs and minutes.
Collection number: ahc.CityofAtlanta
Scope and Content This collection consists of administrative records from the City of Atlanta, which have been divided into sixteen series. Records include materials pertaining to select mayors of Atlanta and correspondence and memos from the Executive Office. The collection also includes City Council and Board of Alderman legislation, minutes, and proceedings. Records also include material regarding transportation, public safety, finance, planning and community development, courts, public works, and maps. ...
Collection number: ahc.MSS748f
Scope and Content This collection contains fliers, pamphlets, mailouts, and statements from the Civil Rights Movement in Georgia. Subjects addressed in the documents include racial relations in the south, school segregation, African-American voting, civil rights demonstrations, and memorials to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Some materials in this collection pre-date the recognized beginning of the Civil Rights Movement, in 1954.
Collection number: ahc.MSS935
Scope and Content The Clarence Bacote papers include correspondence, news clippings, and research papers, but are primarily composed of publications. The papers focus on the activities of African Americans in the south. As an African American history professor at a southern black university, Dr. Bacote's papers reflect his ongoing mission to gain a stronger understanding of the political and social evolution of blacks in the south. This mission included the study of those blacks who had previously achieved a...
Collection number: ahc.MSS891
Scope and Content The collection contains original tapes and transcripts of six interviews.
Collection number: ahc.MSS544
Scope and Content This collection contains correspondence, a ledger of student accounts, an appraisal of the W. W. Cox estate, and a pamphlet titled "New Souvenir of the Southern Female College, 1901-1902."
Collection number: ahc.MSS459
Scope and Content This collection contains a scrapbook with newspaper clippings, correspondence, invitations, and memorabilia during Daisy Smith's school years in Atlanta Public Schools and Girls' High School.
Collection number: ahc.MSS525
Scope and Content This collection consists of nine scrapbooks documenting the activities of Delta Kappa Gamma, Alpha Chapter.
Collection number: ahc.MSS344
Scope and Content This collection contains assorted materials relating to Tech High School and Girls High School. Included in the collection are programs, invitations, course of study records, and school newspapers.
Collection number: ahc.MSS1129
Scope and Content This collection consists of materials about MacRae's teaching career, including correspondence, manuscripts, speech transcripts, and news clippings. Of particular interest is MacRae’s critical writing against “career education,” the movement in the 1970s in the United States Department of Education away from a general education and toward training grade school and high school students for a career and vocation.
- Subject: Education -- Georgia X
- Girls High School (Atlanta, Ga.) 7
- Georgia Institute of Technology 4
- Allen, Ivan, 1911-2003 3
- Atlanta (Ga.). Board of Education 3
- Atlanta (Ga.). City Executive Committee 3
- Atlanta History Center 3
- Hartsfield, William Berry 3
- Ku Klux Klan, 1915- 3
- League of Women Voters of Atlanta/Fulton County 3
- Southern Christian Leadership Conference 3
- Technological High School (Atlanta, Ga.) 3
- American Civil Liberties Union 2
- American Red Cross 2
- Atlanta (Ga.). Fire Department 2
- Atlanta Committee for International Visitors 2
- Atlanta Council for International Visitors 2
- Atlanta Economic Development Corporation 2
- Atlanta Public Schools 2
- Atlanta University 2
- Atlanta University Center (Ga.) 2
- Black, Charles A. 2
- Bolden, Willie 2
- Boone, Alethea Williams 2
- Boys High School (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Carter, Jimmy, 1924- 2
- Clayton, Xernona 2
- Coleman, George 2
- Curry, Constance 2
- Dillard, Morris 2
- Douglas, Lydia 2
- Dove, Pearlie C. 2
- Edge, Robert 2
- Emory University 2
- Fowlkes, William 2
- Gaines, Billie Davis 2
- Georgia. Department of Transportation 2
- Georgia. General Assembly 2
- Georgia. General Assembly. Committee on Schools 2
- Girl Scouts of the United States of America 2
- Glustrom, John 2
- Grady Memorial Hospital (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Help Our Public Education (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Hill, Jesse 2
- Holmes, Herbert 2
- Hornsby, Alton 2
- Hudson, John Davis 2
- International Visitor Leadership Program. 2
- King, Lonnie 2
- King, Martin Luther, Jr. 2
- Lee Street School (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Lokey, Muriel 2
- Luker, Ralph 2
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People 2
- Parham, Johnny 2
- Pendergrast, Nan 2
- Potts, Portia Harden 2
- Powell, Faye Bellamy 2
- Ricks, Willie Floyd 2
- Sibley, John 2
- Smith, John B. 2
- Southern Regional Council 2
- Swann, Ernest 2
- United States. Department of State 2
- University of Georgia 2
- Vivian, C. T. 2
- Wade, Lyndon A. (Lyndon Anthony) 2
- Warner, Clinton E. 2
- Westminster Schools (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- William A. Bass Junior High School (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Young, Andrew 2
- Active Voters (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Alexander, Geraldine 1
- Allen, Louise Richardson, 1917-2008 1
- American Nurses' Association 1
- Arrington, Marvin S. 1
- Atlanta (Ga.) 1
- Atlanta (Ga.). Board of Aldermen 1
- Atlanta (Ga.). Board of Health 1
- Atlanta (Ga.). Bureau of Buildings 1
- Atlanta (Ga.). Bureau of Planning 1
- Atlanta (Ga.). City Council 1
- Atlanta (Ga.). Department of Parks and Recreation 1
- Atlanta (Ga.). Police Department 1
- Atlanta (Ga.). Traffic Engineering Department 1
- Atlanta Art Association 1
- Atlanta Arts Alliance 1
- Atlanta Assessment Project (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Atlanta Astronomical Society 1
- Atlanta Black Crackers (Baseball team) 1
- Atlanta Braves (Baseball team) 1
- Atlanta Chamber of Commerce 1
- Atlanta City Hall (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Atlanta Civic Center (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Atlanta Civil Liberties Committee 1
- Atlanta Community Relations Commission 1
- Atlanta Crackers (Baseball team) 1
- Atlanta Daily World (Firm) 1
- Atlanta Falcons. (Football team) 1
- Atlanta Historical Society 1
- Atlanta Housing Authority 1 ∧ less